You are here

About Ped Injury Mechanics

Pages

Doctor Fraggington's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
About Ped Injury Mechanics
#1 Submitted: Wed, 15/01/2014 - 02:54

I'm late with this kind of input maybe, but I only recently saw the "work in progress" sneak peek.

I'm disappointed to see that hitting peds as demonstrated in this video isn't far removed from the same in Carpocalypse Now. Pedestrians bounce atop the car and their limbs detach cleanly. They don't thump or shake violently or get ripped to shreds as would be most visceral and intuitive. From early concept art, it also looked like they could possibly be smeared into the ground (and therefore easily able to be driven over), but the pedsin the video are just pushed by the bounding box. I vaguely remember a blog post suggesting that I would have fun attacking peds with the different weapon rigs of each vehicle, but the peds bounce off the Eagle's razor canopy as if it was made of pillows.

Of course it's a work in progress, and an old one, they could easily have surpassed the demonstrated mechanics by now. The new post about the detailed suspension is encouraging too - they might be aiming for this level of detail all around for the sake of stylistic uniformity.

Assuage my fears that the ped mechanics get better than what I've seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INR1q9B1XVQ#t=2m15s

lemonrev's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 15/01/2014 - 03:18

This is no shooter, look and play c1 from gog.com go get it, download it play it, and think carma reincarnation is going to woop all over c1 and make c1 a thing of the past once this game comes out, please stop creating silly posts.

Epitaph's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 15/01/2014 - 05:10

Doctor Fraggington wrote:

Of course it's a work in progress, and an old one, they could easily have surpassed the demonstrated mechanics by now. The new post about the detailed suspension is encouraging too - they might be aiming for this level of detail all around for the sake of stylistic uniformity.

You already said it. They released this video on May/June 2012. This will be almost 2 years when the game will get an actual release (not Early Beta Access).
So yeah, i wouldn't worry that much. Things will be from slightly better to "ABSOLUTELY FFFFFFUCKING GREAT" Better.

Manaick's picture
Norman E. Carnage
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 15/01/2014 - 05:22

Even if it is based on an early video he has a good point. More complicated peds damage system would ad a lot to game juiciness. Simple run over or hit and run in low speeds, total annihilation hi speed hits. It would be great. Breaking peds leg or cutting his arm of :)

RiOrus's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 15/01/2014 - 08:18

If you've only seen the pre alpha stuff on pootube then there is quite a bit of reading for you to get through in the blog section to get you up to speed.

Take a peek at http://www.carmageddon.com/blog/beef-curtains-pink-medium-or-well-done to see a bit of info on cow peds. There is no footage of spolshy goodness but it'll give you a flavour of what to expect from the pedestrian presentation. There is also a bit of text on the various 'hit-states' and how peds react to different impacts and scenarios.

Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Wed, 15/01/2014 - 08:39

lemonrev wrote:
This is no shooter, look and play c1 from gog.com go get it, download it play it, and think carma reincarnation is going to woop all over c1 and make c1 a thing of the past once this game comes out, please stop creating silly posts.

I don't expect Carmageddon: Reincarnation to be a shooter, that's completely irrelevant to my concerns and suggestions, and even the posted link you inferred this from. Left 4 Dead 2's humanoid damage mechanics are applicable to Carmageddon, as both games need to render a lot of live and dead adult humanoids with viscerally satisfying, variable wounds.

Carmageddon 1 is already a thing of the past, that's why it is indeed available on Good Old Games, and because of that it's not enough for C:R to surpass it. There are modern standards outside this series, and you should expect a good artist or business to consider that.

EDIT: Thanks, RiOrus. I've actually read that post, but forgot about it. However, the hit mechanics it describes sound the same to me as what's in the video.

Edited by: Doctor Fraggington on Wed, 15/01/2014 - 09:30
Manaick's picture
Norman E. Carnage
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 15/01/2014 - 09:09

RiOrus wrote:
If you've only seen the pre alpha stuff on pootube then there is quite a bit of reading for you to get through in the blog section to get you up to speed.

Take a peek at http://www.carmageddon.com/blog/beef-curtains-pink-medium-or-well-done to see a bit of info on cow peds. There is no footage of spolshy goodness but it'll give you a flavour of what to expect from the pedestrian presentation. There is also a bit of text on the various 'hit-states' and how peds react to different impacts and scenarios.

Thanks, I had missed this one, catching up now and it sounds great :)

Edited by: Manaick on Wed, 15/01/2014 - 09:09

Psyrgery's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 15/01/2014 - 09:53

Doctor Fraggington wrote:
lemonrev wrote:

I don't expect Carmageddon: Reincarnation to be a shooter, that's completely irrelevant to my concerns and suggestions, and even the posted link you inferred this from. Left 4 Dead 2's humanoid damage mechanics are applicable to Carmageddon, as both games need to render a lot of live and dead adult humanoids with viscerally satisfying, variable wounds.

Carmageddon 1 is already a thing of the past, that's why it is indeed available on Good Old Games, and because of that it's not enough for C:R to surpass it. There are modern standards outside this series, and you should expect a good artist or business to consider that.

EDIT: Thanks, RiOrus. I've actually read that post, but forgot about it. However, the hit mechanics it describes sound the same to me as what's in the video.

Regarding your concern about limbs dettaching easily on impact, I believe it was setup like that on purpose just to offer a small glimpse on the gore mechanics of the game.

That is, the peds were configured to have easier dismemberment, I am sure things have changed greatly since then.

Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil

Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Wed, 15/01/2014 - 10:06

Psyrgery, I didn't say the limbs detach easily, I said they detach cleanly. The severed ends are smooth, symmetrical, and pre-determined.

Drone99's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 15/01/2014 - 12:21

I hope there will be a update showing some of the peds deformation and destroying techniques. Along with the cars this is the most important part of a good Carmageddon. Feeling the pain of the peds !

LordToastALot's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 15/01/2014 - 14:35

"This clearly pre-alpha video from over two years ago has me concerned!"

GRFFFNGFFFF

Bet that hurt!

Pages

randomness