You are here

Bugbears 'Next Car Game' game

Pages

Dave3d's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Bugbears 'Next Car Game' game
#1 Submitted: Mon, 02/09/2013 - 04:51

So, Bugbear cant use the Flatout name, since the publisher sold it to another publisher.
But, they are making a new game, like the original Flatout's.

Bugbears new game NCG (Next Car Game) needs some money, so that they dont need a publisher.
They are the ones who made Flatout, Flatout 2, Flatout Ultimate Carnage, Ridge Racer Unbounded, and Ridge Racer Driftopia (they did NOT make Flatout 3, that was a different developer).
NCG is going to be like the Flatout series. More control over the cars, no one-button-consolized-wintherace racer.

If 10,000 pre-order, they will release an alpha version for evryone who does pre-order. Nice!

http://nextcargame.com/

If anyone is interested, swing on by and take a look.
If you havent played any of the flatouts, you are missing some great arcade type racing, and lots of smashing, and even some funny car games.
The Flatouts are the only other racing games I truly cherish, being just behind Carmageddon series.

lemonrev's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 03/09/2013 - 11:59

just saw the trailer to this game, looks somewhat kickass but also at the same time it looks like it would be soo easy to kill your car and the game becomes 10x more harder to complete races.

I also think if we saw some of the demo type mechanics of say the car being bounced around and smashed and hit then i think carma could come so close to this type of game play but its got a different type of aspect to it.

So im not sure how far stainless will push for having destruction blast away from the cars even though it would look totally kick ass and make the player much more willing to race instead of just play and burn rubber and get the race done with quick death of everyone else in the field first.

This brings up many questions we might all have on how the development of the game is now and how it will be in its final product. Crossing fingers its going to kick more but than the original :P.

macacom's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sat, 07/09/2013 - 14:41

Interesting! I think I'll pre-order it : )

Madman Tony for president!

Too-DAMN-Much's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sun, 08/09/2013 - 20:32

@lemon, that's a fair point in most racing games and even carmageddon but if you recall flatout actually rewards you for trying to destroy your car by giving you nitro for it, so it's arguably not even a bad thing to totally wreck your ride.

"if he smiles, start running"

"keep asking stupid questions"

trolling is apparently anytime your opinion is different than mine, i'll also accuse you of baiting if you refuse to change your opinion by force.

lemonrev's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 09/09/2013 - 09:20

Wrecking your ride is fine and thats why we all love carma lol, but in that clip they have its like wreck your car and see how fast you can die or kill the car, it all depends on there game mechanics i suppose i was just worried with that much damage with that type of game that having like a destruction durby type game that if you have a head on collision then your car would instantly be scrap metal.

Just saying I have it on some what a watch list :)

Too-DAMN-Much's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 09/09/2013 - 22:12

true but didn't the majority of the flatout games also include at least a few of the minigame type stunt events that crashday made a thing?

if nothing else, i think they had driver darts and bowling, not positive though, destroying your ride is par for the course for those. :)

trolling is apparently anytime your opinion is different than mine, i'll also accuse you of baiting if you refuse to change your opinion by force.

Dave3d's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 10/09/2013 - 06:48

From what I have read, they will have the option to have the damage actually affect the car as you drive it, or just have it as superficial damage that wont affect how you drive. Pretty darn cool if you ask me. I know I will be trying out both options, hehe. Also, I think they said they are still tweaking the damage system. Would be cool if they had a slider to set the damage % yourself, lol. Hmmm, gunna go post and see if they will do that! HAHAHA

@TDM:
You are correct, they had many different things in the game.
They had just the career racing, where you can just race for 1st 2nd 3rd place (with damage and debrise still).
The had a single race, whatever track you wanted (2 versions of this IIRC).
They had Destruction Derby.
They had oval/figure 8 type track racing (I guess thats Banger racing?).
And, they had the silly stunts. They all had to do with throwing the driver through the windshield towards a certain goal. Like bowling, high jump, darts, football (soccer), skipping the driver as many times as possible along water.
All of this stuff was seperate from the career racing, except for the money you won doing it would be added to your career money. Say you NEEDED the next tire upgrade to win 1 track, but didnt have the money for it, you could go do these extra things to get some more money.
they were usually very hard (the driver stunts), but funny too.

Bugbear has said that they wont have the driver stunts though, and probably not the driver crashing through the windshield either.
I am not sure about anything else though.
It will still be the best racing game out there (Carmageddon is not really a racing game, so much as a destroy everything with your car game, lol), that has real damage modeling, no 'on rails racing' (you know, when you hit those invisible walls 7 feet on each side of your car? That dont do any damage or let you go off the track?), no 'bumping a car does nothing to either car', etc etc etc

My 2 favorite car racing games, maybe coming out near each other?
They have certainly been a helluva lot more open than Stainless has, I must say (sorry Stainless, but for having no publisher, you havent been very open like you said you would be in the kickstarter).

The release is supposed to be early 2014. A playable pre-alpha version before the year is out also! (yeah, still lookin at you, Stainless, hehe).

And, for everyone, if you like good games like this, please go to the steam greenlight section and Yes vote it please?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=176123360

Edited by: Dave3d on Tue, 10/09/2013 - 06:51
Too-DAMN-Much's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 10/09/2013 - 09:07

yeah i still remember now that you remind me, i remember the first time i ever played the original flatout, i even made the horrible mistake of trying to avoid the debris around the track at first.

i'm positive i've upvoted it on greenlight but i'll doublecheck right now just to be sure, as far as getting my own copy, mmm.... hopefully, but i still have that bad taste in my mouth from the third, we will see.

it sounds awesome that they're going to do proper damage modeling this time around as well, even in the third it wasn't really that spectacular, didn't hold up to carmageddon 2 imo really, yuno bisect, cars?

was still a series i enjoyed and had good memories of, but then again, from looking at reviews of amnesia a machine for pigs it looks like i may or may not really be happy with the magnum opus of the penumbra series, before anyone thinks it was a dark descent that i mean, it's not, not even close the penumbra series was the true height of frictional games and the beautiful precursors to (even if not technically part of the same series) horror titles with the first amnesia coming a very close second.
but yeah, i'm always skeptical of series' sequels and revivals, especially lately, with C:R i just couldn't bare not to take the chance.

Edited by: Too-DAMN-Much on Tue, 10/09/2013 - 09:08

Dave3d's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 12/09/2013 - 06:13

Well, remember Flatout 3 was made by a totally separate dev studio, Team 6, and a different publisher (cant remember publisher).
http://flatout3.team6-games.com/

Flatout 3 was NOT made by Bugbear.
Bugbear does not own the rights to the name Flatout, and has never owned the rights. Since FO:UC, the publisher sold the name to another publisher, and contracted Team 6 to do FO 3.

Bugbear wants to do a 'spiritual successor' to FO1, FO2, and FO:UC, but pubs dont think there is a market for it. Plus they dont want to have any restrictions put on the game by a pub. JUST like Carmageddon. They want to make the game they want to make (which sounds like a FO1 game, with better graphics and car crunching and whatnot), not the game someone else wants them to make.
Sounds just like what Stainless wants to do. :)

But, I do understand about not giving devs money before the game is out. But, if we dont, then the publishers take over the game, and make it drastically different, or dumbed down, or we never even see the game come out.
It is a gamble, and I have only taken that gamble 3 times, for Carma: Reincarnation, Flatout 'spiritual successor' NCG, and Road Redemption (lol, all driving games).

Peace.

Dave3d's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 13/09/2013 - 13:37

HAHAHAHA

I love the ending, where the car is just ground to bits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmQbUJiEax8

Too-DAMN-Much's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Fri, 13/09/2013 - 22:09

first of all, that is some sexy damage.

second (we'll come back to it as well) why does the front only get crushed so far and then stop and the top never gets squashed like it should, which brings us to:

third, the last three with the grinding wheels almost make me think they are bull-shots since it looks like it follows such different rules of deformation as the rest.

fourth, i think i see why now that i watch again honestly, it makes sense too, the cars are simply meant to take damage much more easily from the sides than any other direction so that you can crack them up a lot without destroying it instantly, my guess anyway

[edit]added fourth point, please re-read where necessary [/edit]

Edited by: Too-DAMN-Much on Fri, 13/09/2013 - 22:13

Pages

randomness