You are here

Modding on Android

Pages

Boomer McLoud's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sun, 07/12/2014 - 17:30

....Following this thread closely. I've recently begun experimenting with manipulating/modeling 3d files on my android tablet and have gotten bored silly with the original C1 cars (which, incidentally prompted me to figure out how to make new C1 cars on the PC.) Anyways, I'm still trying to get my head around the android format. You guys who understand the structure and code-please keep me in the loop (or direct me to where your research is posted so I can study it, too.) I really wanna mod the mobile version.

Are those programs (Noesis and WADedit) meant to be used on the PC with the android data copied over?

Edited by: Boomer McLoud on Mon, 08/12/2014 - 02:14

A.k.a Deep_Blue

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Community VIPKickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Mon, 08/12/2014 - 16:14

The model format for the mobile version of C1 is an earlier version of the format used for C:R. You can check out code for reading it
on Errol's GitHub for Flummery if you want to create tools for modding the android version of C1, though Flummery only supports exporting to the C:R format. The CNT and MDL file types are the important ones as they hold the hierarchy information and mesh data respectively.

Yes, Noesis and WADedit are Windows programs.

Boomer McLoud's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Mon, 08/12/2014 - 16:51

Ah, OK Trent.

I'm kinda stepping into this sideways so it's gonna take me a bit to get the hang of things.
Talking to Tosh and now you and reading around I'm seeing that I guess I have to learn to mod C:R first to understand what I wanna do.

Having said that- help an old timer out here, wouldya?
Is there a step-by-step tut somewhere?

A.k.a Deep_Blue

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Mon, 08/12/2014 - 17:03

Unforunately the way cars are set up in C:R is totally different to the way they're set up in the mobile port of C1, the only common feature is the basic file formats, so learning to mod C:R wouldn't help if you're wanting to mod C1 on android.

The cars for mobile C1 have a Car.txt file which sets up which parts of it are wheels, what seems to be the collision shapes and a few other settings. I'd recommend just extracting the WAD and investigating how they're set up.

Regarding tutorials for C:R - there's none at the moment, I'm making some tools for modding C:R and so making tutorials for modding it is on my rather large list of things to do. I'd suggest reading through the threads in the C:R modding forum, posting questions and maybe joining the #carmageddon IRC chatroom on irc.slashnet.org where there's a few of us who will be happy to help you out.

Boomer McLoud's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 09/12/2014 - 10:52

Ok, I'm a little better informed now. Thanks.
I'll take a look around.
I appreciate the advice.

A.k.a Deep_Blue

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Tue, 24/03/2015 - 22:24

I've been messing with modding the mobile game and it's actually amazingly straight forward. The cars are dead simple to set up, to get the car to show up in the selection screen you need to edit a LOL script to add in an extra column and edit a text file which lists the order of cars in the selection screen, as well as create a menu images for it. The menu images are a bugged at the moment, probably because I haven't got the format quite right, but over all it's not been much hassle. My maxscript tools work fine for exporting the CNT and MDL files, but the MTL files need to be copied and hex edited by hand to point to the correct textures.

Getting the mod on to the device just involves repacking the whole WAD and replacing the one on the device. I don't know how to put it on Android devices as I've been messing with it on my old jailbroken iPad, where you just need to find the Carmageddon.App folder in /var/mobile/Applications and put it in there. You may or may not need AppSync installed to work around CodeSigning issues.

Gravedrinker's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Wed, 25/03/2015 - 10:10

Phenomenal work there Trent. Siamese dream looks great in C1 too.

Twitter/Instagram: @Gravedrinker

Boomer McLoud's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sat, 09/05/2015 - 18:42

Ah, OK. That makes sense. And I can probably do that.... But I'm apparently missing a very important first step though. Er, um.. How are you getting into/displaying/unpacking/repacking the contents of the .obb file?

Edited by: Boomer McLoud on Sat, 09/05/2015 - 18:44

A.k.a Deep_Blue

Trent's picture
I was in the War!
Submitted: Sat, 09/05/2015 - 21:24

Boomer McLoud wrote:
Ah, OK. That makes sense. And I can probably do that.... But I'm apparently missing a very important first step though. Er, um.. How are you getting into/displaying/unpacking/repacking the contents of the .obb file?

Easy answer: I didn't :)

OBB is an android package format, I modded it on iOS, all the game's files are just stored in the folder, though when you backup the game to the PC it stores it as an IPAD file which is just a ZIP file. The game itself stores it's data in WAD files, you can find tools to extract them in the Duels Of The Planeswalkers modding community I think. As far as extracting obb files goes though, I've got no idea. Errol was working on that a while ago though.

Boomer McLoud's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Sat, 09/05/2015 - 22:48

Ah, thanks. /me learn some more. All I have is a droid and a pc. I'll have a look around and see what I can find.

A.k.a Deep_Blue

Pages

randomness