You are here

News: Stainless secures additional $3.5m from Bullfrog founder

Pages

Trent's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Thu, 21/03/2013 - 13:46

ThreeSon wrote:
Wow, dramatic much? I never called him a liar, or even implied that he's a liar. He didn't say anywhere in his post whether or not the PC version would be released when it's ready, or if it would be delayed to launch with the console versions. I'm looking for information that hasn't been provided yet.

And please stop with the rage and the "conspiracy theory" b.s. I'm only asking a question and nothing more. I backed the project on KS just as I'm assuming most others here did, and I'm now wondering if the game they pitched in that campaign is going to be delayed for business reasons.

No more dramatic than the post I was replying to. How can this following quote be seen as anything other than implying he's lying about the PC version not being negatively affected?

Quote:
Even if you take Stainless at their word that the console development won't negatively affect the PC version (I very much doubt that

Rage never came into it, at most I was slightly exasperated. If you were just asking for confirmation that the PC version would not be arbitrarily held up just to release the console version first or at the same time, that would be fair enough. What's wrong is ranting about how you "very much doubt" Stainless' official word as developers "always" focus on consoles because "that's where the money is" and "that is how it has always gone." That is, by definition, a paranoid theory of conspiracy against the PC version.

It's obvious they will release the game when it's ready because withholding a completed game from release while other versions of it are being still finished would be a very bad business decision for them. If you don't want people to take exception to what you say, maybe you should take a bit more time think about what you're saying.

Want mods? Want tools? Get them in the modding section!
http://www.carmageddon.com/forums/modding/carmageddon-reincarnation

My tools: LOLDecoder, GibbedTools for C:R, CRAP, CUNT
My mods: Carmageddon 1 Levels, Carmageddon 1 Cars

nobby's picture
Stainless
Stainless
Submitted: Thu, 21/03/2013 - 14:22

It's completely understandable that any mention of consoles sends shudders of dismay and cynicism through large swathes of the gaming community. We've all been burned by assertions that the next version of one of our beloved titles definitely won't be ruined by the fact that it will also be coming to consoles... only for the games to duly appear and be completely ruined... And always because the game has been drastically "adjusted" to pander to the console market. Personally, I've always been a massive FPS fan, and the market of games I can now look forward to has shrunk to almost nothing, thanks (IMO) to general erosion caused by this pattern of behaviour by devs/publishers.

But why would any of you guys really think that we'd go down this path with Carmageddon? When we've waited so long (and paid a very substantial sum) to get the full rights to the Brand back - and consequently are equally as excited as any of you to play the fruits of our labours.

Please, pause to consider this: My team and I here have been working towards the release of C:R since getting those rights back, and all work on pre-production and now on production has been solely on PC. We shelved console development early on to concentrate on the core platform development, and the PC will continue to be our primary dev platform. Yes, it will be imperative to get the UI and the controls "console friendly" - but then many of us play driving games on PC using a controller, so we'd want all that functionality anyway. And yes, there will be demands on the development that are console specific - but that's no reason for us to feel those changes need to be retro-fitted to the PC game.

Remember - WE are the Publishers now. And thanks to the extra funding coming from our close ally Les Edgar, we have no masters overseeing our work (who might in other circumstances have had their own criteria to satisfy) other than ourselves... and YOU the FANS, of course!

I announced in the pre-Christmas blog that the extra funding would mean that we're now planning a coordinated cross-platform release, and that meant we had changed from our original plan to "release something as early as possible". We all feel that this is the right move - as it means the new game will be completely polished at launch and will have a far bigger impact on the market. This is critically important in our plans for a major reboot of the Carma Brand.

We intend to make Carmageddon what it deserves to be - a world leading Brand; a name that is synonymous with outstanding gameplay and bloody, riotous FUN! We'll fail miserably in that aim if we can't give everyone who plays it the same experience we want to have ourselves!

Lastly - thanks to everyone who's posting here, either with passionate support or reservations. We appreciate that you're doing so because you care deeply about the game. And I want you to know that we really appreciate your activity right across the forums - even though (due to the small matter of working on making that game!) we don't respond directly as often as you and we would ideally like.

I was in the war.

CoffeyCup's picture
Piledriver
Community VIPKickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 21/03/2013 - 14:39

Thank you Sir.

Ok, does everyone feel better? :)

starbass's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 21/03/2013 - 14:52

Halleluya! Praise the Nobby!

p.s. It would be great to get a screenshot of the current state, just as a sneak peak :P

<= if dysfunction is a function, I must be some sort of genius =>

Zenon1023k's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 21/03/2013 - 14:54

I am not happy, first we get game delayed, now console players get it too.

Anyone thinks that console version will not hurt PC version i disagree.

Every single game in history has.

I'm not a happy camper.

I pledged for PC game via kickstarter, now the console gamers don't have to do anything but buy the game?

Trent's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Submitted: Thu, 21/03/2013 - 15:04

Very informative post there, Nobby, I would hope everyone who has concerns reads it and comprehends it. Unfortunately it seems not everyone will bother to read it, as proven by the post directly above this /sigh

gabrielonuris's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 21/03/2013 - 15:05

I don't wanna sound like a bitchin' moron here, but to be honest if I knew this game would be on consoles too, I think I wouldn't have participated on the Kickstart fund project. First the game get delayed; then this; it's all just a big coincidence, and I'm still afraid of what kind of final product we will get.

NMe's picture
NMe
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 21/03/2013 - 15:06

Zenon1023k wrote:
I am not happy, first we get game delayed, now console players get it too.

Anyone thinks that console version will not hurt PC version i disagree.

Every single game in history has.

I'm not a happy camper.

I pledged for PC game via kickstarter, now the console gamers don't have to do anything but buy the game?

What exactly is different here? There are also people that did not pledge any money for the PC version who will still be able to buy it? The game was never exclusively for us KS-backers.

I don't care if there will be a console version as long as the PC version of the game won't be downscaled to be able to work on severely outdated console hardware.

misterzadir's picture
Fluffy Bunny
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Thu, 21/03/2013 - 15:11

The people who are mad about this news are mad because they saw this game as their precious exclusive gem to their PC. I'm an avid pc gamer but this game makes MORE sense on a console than a PC. This is a natural fit for consoles and we have NO REASON to question the developers here as they've clearly stated it's THEIR baby. No publishers telling them to make it mainstream or 'more accessible'. Stop your moaning. Releasing on consoles will help push this brand into a new stratosphere and insure FUTURE carmageddons. Just... stop the whining. You give us real gamers a bad name.

Trent's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Submitted: Thu, 21/03/2013 - 15:18

gabrielonuris wrote:
I don't wanna sound like a bitchin' moron here, but to be honest if I knew this game would be on consoles too, I think I wouldn't have participated on the Kickstart fund project. First the game get delayed; then this; it's all just a big coincidence, and I'm still afraid of what kind of final product we will get.

The final product you will get will now be better than the final product they originally had planned. It got delayed to accommodate the expanded goals they could achieve with the SUBSTANTIALLY increased budget. Where's the problem with that? Why would the fact it's now coming to more platforms (platforms they stated their desire to bring the game to even during the Kickstarter campaign) make you not want to back it? I can't wrap my head around such a bizarre attitude.

Pages