You are here

Things TDR got right (which could be used in C:R)

Pages

stygimoloch's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Kickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Things TDR got right (which could be used in C:R)
#1 Submitted: Sun, 18/11/2012 - 16:50

Quick moderator note: Any comment about how TDR is horrible will be deleted or edited. This is not what the thread's about.
------

I know, I know, we don't talk about TDR. But here's the thing: I think there genuinely were some good ideas in it, and I believe some of them could be adopted for C:R. Here's styg's list of Five Things From TDR2000 I'd Like To See In Reincarnation.

Peds who fight back
This would be my main argument against zombies, I think. Zombies just kinda stand there and take it, or shuffle out of the way. Human pedestrians can kick your windscreen in, attack you with weapons and explosives, or even push things off buildings or cliffs onto your car as you drive past. Now, TDR's implementation of this was crap and the peds never really damaged you, but the idea was there, at least.

Cops shown on map
I like hunting down cops in C1. I don't like the fact they run away as soon as you set them on fire. I especially don't like, if you've lost track of them, having to drive away from the area to let them reset to their original location. With cops showing up on the map, as in TDR, duelling them becomes more about the duel itself and less a matter of waiting for the system to catch up with itself.

The verticality of the maps
C1 and C2 were quite good at this, in fairness, but TDR was best at it: Maps which felt truly three dimensional with rooftop trails, flyovers and proper sewer networks. I love that sort of vertical gameplay, especially if you can take the short way down to the level below. Devil's Canyon mines might be my favourite C1 map for that reason. Ohnhai's teasers of the new Industrial Injury make me happy because they show off much more attention to the level as a 3D space than the original map did.

Free play mode
With the way C1's races were structured it was not so much a problem there, but it annoyed me in C2 that if you were in group 7 or 8 and wanted to play, say, Beaver Woods, you had to finish the game first. TDR let you go back and play any unlocked environment in free play mode, with no time limit and no advancement to be had: just lulz (and, IIRC, your APO upgrades carried over from free play to the campaign?).

Afterburner
I know C2 had the afterburner powerup too, but TDR's was amazing. Not just the insane amount of speed it added but the barbecue bonus, rocketing forward while in flight, the near instant switch from reverse to full speed... it's practically cheating to use afterburner, in that a solid crash using it killed pretty much anything in one shot, but I don't care. It might be the most fun powerup in any Carmageddon.

Edited by: Espyo on 04/03/2013 - 17:23
karpuz's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Submitted: Sun, 18/11/2012 - 17:35

I agree with you about TDR2000's Afterburner. It was one of the good thing and it would fit better for next carmageddon i say

About peds i say there could be some kind of groups from TDR2000 maybe make them as some kind of gangsters but still most of peds should be normal people like in CARM1.

I also would like to talk about next carmageddon's dismemberment effects, i srysly hated ped dismemberment effects in CARM2 and TDR200. I say they should not add "Realism" to carmageddon but i dont mean when you touch ped with car it should "Blow up like baloon" it becomes bit ridiclous and unrealistic indeed, but i would like to see that "Baloon style ped blowup" only when you run over ped as being fast. Hope u get what i mean ^^

MOOSE ON THE LOOSE

TheNameIsJambo's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sun, 18/11/2012 - 18:41

I'd have to agree with you, stygimoloch. Carma TDR is a sheer guilty pleasure of mine - Except from the 'mission' races. I hate those... With fiery passion.

I'm pretty sure that the boys + girls working on Reincarnation will have some special surprises in store for us - But attacking pedestrians/zombies would be sweeeeeet!

I'm thinking 28 Days/Weeks Later or Doomsday style of peds/zombies; mindless, post-apocalyptic + crazy.

Since the game is almost meant to be reminiscent of classic post-apocalyptic movies [Mad Max, anyone? ;)]

Espyo's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Sun, 18/11/2012 - 19:16

I almost fully agree with you.

Attacking peds: There are times in which I just wanna stand still in TDR for whatever reason, but the buggers keep pushing me. Even though it's not actually painful, it is annoying. I wanted them to attack, but not be annoying.

Cops shown on map: Yesterday, some friends wanted to play Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I could've joined earlier, but NOO, I had to spend over 30 minutes trying to figure out where the darn Suppressor went! The cops don't need to show on the map from the start (could even scare newbies if they dared to look at the map), but as soon as one is activated, and within range, it should be shown on the map. And like you said, going away just for them to respawn isn't fun. At times I went to almost the other part of the map and the Cops were still not in their original place. At other times, I lost them for a second, and when I go look, they've respawned.

Verticality: A vital feature of any good 3D game. This is part of what killed the Sonic franchise, IMO. 3 dimensions to work with, yet all levels use 0.5 dimensions: forward! I'm sure this'll be great in Reincarnation, though. On-topic, I loved travelling on the transparent tunnels in TDR!
Free play: This is more common in games nowadays, luckily. And I'm sure something of the sort will be done for Reincarnation. At least I certainly hope so!

Afterburner: It's great in Carma2, but even better in CarmaTDR! Definitely one of the things that game did very right. The bigger speed boost is not that good, IMO, because it does make it a bit overpowered. But the barbecue bonus, and flight propulsion control are just very fun. I didn't like its reverse-speed killing though. I prefer Carma2's reverse acceleration method, because it's more useful. Even if the classic Afterburner is kept, at the very least add the flames!

I'm trying to remember anything else that worked particularly well in CarmaTDR, but I can't think of anything...

I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a fangame engine for Pikmin games.

TheNameIsJambo's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sun, 18/11/2012 - 19:40

If the devs are reading this...

STEEL GONAD O' DEATH

That... That just has to happen! :D

EDIT:
More on the 'Free Play' mode - It would be even better if they somehow managed to link all of the stages together, and we could have a 'Free Roam' mode.

Free Roam carnage, almost like Burnout, but with completely wacky/zany backdrops.

The free roam option would be sweet though; especially if they flung in 'bots' just for the carnage; or allowed multi-play free-roam, with mini-games thrown in.

pologik's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Sun, 18/11/2012 - 21:47

Espyo wrote:
I'm trying to remember anything else that worked particularly well in CarmaTDR, but I can't think of anything...

Well, what about THE NUKE ?
Having the ability to poop a f**king nuclear bomb was one of the things i enjoyed the most in TDR :D

edit:
loool was looking for some videos on youtube about it and found this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPyocng0uFM
is it yours Espyo ?

Espyo's picture
Velociraptor Fister
Community VIPKickstarter BackerModerator
Submitted: Mon, 19/11/2012 - 12:34

TheNameIsJambo wrote:
STEEL GONAD O' DEATH

But that's not CarmaTDR's doing :P

pologik wrote:
Well, what about THE NUKE ?

Well yeah, but... I don't know, it was a bit overpowered. Ok, it was a lot overpowered. Oh, maybe making it a post-end-game powerup? That'd be great. Otherwise, you can just collect it and waste anything with a lot of ease. Other than that, the nuke is a pretty fun powerup...

pologik wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPyocng0uFM is it yours Espyo ?

...partially because of this. Yeah, that's my video! I sure had fun doing it.

I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a fangame engine for Pikmin games.

TheNameIsJambo's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 19/11/2012 - 12:46

Espyo wrote:
TheNameIsJambo wrote:
STEEL GONAD O' DEATH

But that's not CarmaTDR's doing :P

I know, but it would still be a welcome 'throwback' addition! :D

RiOrus's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
PayPal Backer
Submitted: Mon, 19/11/2012 - 13:21

I agree with the deformity comments and this is something I feel really passionate about. I fully understand that carmageddon has its sense of humour and it is a hallmark of the franchise but am I the only one that would love to see it have a slightly more gritty / realistic edge? The humour is great and I love that about C1 and C2 but actually imagine the fear you would have being a pedestrian and being unlucky enough to be caught outside during race time. You would literally run / hide / fight for your life, scrambling onto ledges diving out the way, pushing other people into harms way, instead of yourself. I think matey who brought this up is onto a winner with increased Ped awareness, perception and the will to survive. Additionally, and I’ve mentioned this before, but the thing I enjoyed most about carmageddon was the visceral impacts (metal on metal / ped on metal aspect) so I’d rather the time and processing power be spent on getting ped and vehicle deformation and weapon modification right rather than over exuberant power ups, get the core game play right and the rest will fall into place. To throw my two pence on the power up subject, yeah afterburner is awesome but I could easily live without nukes from my arse, and probably even the ped incinerator too, unless it was a flamethrower from the front or something.
Carma’s humour is dark, and it’s easy to forget that with too many ridiculous power ups, we should all be laughing like madmen when playing.

C2S's picture
C2S
Cunning Stunt Licker
Community VIPPayPal Backer
Submitted: Mon, 19/11/2012 - 14:43

Agree with the afterburner and verticality (the latter in the intro video as well).

I would add the short bridge scene which is somewhat interesting, and the fact that bombs actually have an area of effect.

Arnathos's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter BackerCompetition Winner
Submitted: Mon, 19/11/2012 - 16:03

The highlight for me was the Afterburner. I also liked the Afterburner, but especially the Afterburner. Did I mention the Afterburner?

Time will tell... Sooner or later... Time will tell.

Pages