You are here

Carmageddon Splat pack windows 95 original exe files with cd check

wouter1984's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Carmageddon Splat pack windows 95 original exe files with cd check
#1 Submitted: Sun, 18/11/2012 - 11:25

Hi there,

I am looking for 2 original carmageddon EXE files; CARMA95.EXE and CARMA95G.EXE. These files should have the CD-check intact.

I have an original CD (max pack) for the splat pack, but it does not play video's from CD. and this CD does not contain these 2 files. So I want to try copying these 2 files manually.

I play the original carmageddon from the file CARM95.exe (-hires) and this one does play the original CD music and video's (intro)

when I insert my splat pack cd when launching the original carmageddon It does play the splat pack intro and music, since my original carmageddon EXE (CARM95.EXE) still has CD check.

hope anyone can help me I hate cracked games with no (full) sound.

Edited by: wouter1984 on 18/11/2012 - 11:26
Breakin'Benny's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Sun, 18/11/2012 - 20:36

Try installing Carmageddon + Splat Pack with DOSBOX, perhaps? That's the only way you can install DOS games on a 64-bit machine, the installer's in 16-bit! Put a CD into the CD drive, start up DOSBOX and type in:

mount [drive letter] [drive letter] -t cdrom
NOTE: Drive letters should be the letter your CD drive uses. For example, I use X:

After that, you should use the DOSINST.BAT and do your stuff. Also, if you can't select anything other than Minimum in the Splat Pack, try pressing Tab

wouter1984's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Mon, 19/11/2012 - 12:23

tried that but it is stuttering as hell, because of my current videocard. The Win95 version of Carmageddon and the Splat Pack also work well on Win7 x64

so I hope to find the files :-o

Might buy an other computer for this great game... 3DFX looks cool for Carmageddon

Breakin'Benny's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Tue, 20/11/2012 - 18:16

Also, you may want to make use of the cnc-ddraw module

Breakin'Benny's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Wed, 21/11/2012 - 19:45

Now, about removing the copy protection. Here's a quote from good ol' Toshiba:

Toshiba-3 wrote:
@svenskmand: ...

"If you're still reading, here's a bonus: How to disable Carmageddon's CD depedency. Why? Because you get sick of listening to the same (hard) music. (Gotta love the Carmageddon Theme song, however. :B )
First of all, you'll need to run a FULL installation of Carmageddon. Now the only files accessed on the CD are the cutscenes. You'll need to copy these to your harddrive. They're located on the CD under DATA\CUTSCENE, and conveniently enough, the destination directory of the same name should already exist on your harddrive. You can get away with copying just MIX_INTR.SMK, or copy them all if you don't mind the extra 32 MB.
The last thing to do, is to correct DATA\PATHS.TXT. When you first install the game, this file will be a hidden, read-only, system file, and not yet encrypted. (If you're working at the commandline, type “ATTRIB -S -H -R PATHS.TXT” to make it appear.)

PATHS.TXT
Line - What? - Example
1 - CD-ROM drive - H:
2 - Game path - E:\Games\Carma
3 - Installation Type - FULL
4 - Language - English

You'll need to make Line 1 the same as Line 2 to trick the game into thinking your harddrive is also the CD-ROM. If it's already encrypted, that's okay--just copy line 2, cut line 1, and paste! Now you're free to listen to whatever music you want! (I recommend Joe Satriani: Surfing with the Alien.) Note however, your CD needs to have at least 8 tracks, or else the CD player will stop if it tries to play a track that's not there. (Or you can edit DATA\SOUND\SOUND.TXT to select other tracks. By default, the game calls tracks 2 thru 8. Search for “CDA”.) Also, Enhanced CDs will not work with Carmageddon. :(
The Splat Pack needed a CD change even more; it has the same number of tracks as the original Carmageddon, but only three are actual music. (Four 10-second tracks of silence is NOT what I call part of an enjoyable soundtrack.) Plus, track 1, the data track, is defined in the play list, so the music always quits sooner or later. Boring! (The CD tracks, 1 thru 8, are defined as sounds 9600 thru 9607.)

SplatPack's PATHS.TXT
Line - What? - Example
1 - CD-ROM drive - H:
2 - SplatPack path - E:\Games\CarmaSP
3 - Installation Type - FULL
4 - Language - English
5 - Carma Path - E:\Games\Carma

Here's an update on the Splat Pack (29.Aug.2002). Contrary to what I thought, the Splat Pack can be, er, broken of its CD depencency. It's just a little trickier. Appearently, the Splat Pack (CARMA.EXE) checks to make sure the CD-ROM drive and game path are not identical, which Carmageddon (MAINPROG.EXE) does not. So you'll need to create a third directory and call it what you like, for example “E:\Games\CarmaCD”. Your third directory will need the following structure and files:

CARMA.EXE
DATA\GENERAL.TXT
DATA\CUTSCENE\SPLINTRO.SMK

I speculate that CARMAV.EXE may also be necessary if you're running the 3Dfx version.
I accidently figured this out when I was just messing around, trying to combine Carmageddon's cars/tracks with the Splat Pack. I had three versions of Carmageddon on my harddrive: Carmageddon, the Splat Pack, and Carmageddon combined with the Splat Pack. I must have messed with PATHS.TXT and forgetten to fix it like it's supposed to be. One day I started up the combined Splat Pack and loaded a race, then realized I was listening to the wrong CD! Inspection of PATHS.TXT revealed that I'd defined my normal Splat Pack as the CD-ROM path. Then it was only a matter of selective elemination to figure out which files are needed (so that I could clear off my packed harddrive!).
In any case, you'll know it worked if you get past the game's first menu without being asked to insert a disk."

_
Article by Wally Waffle from his defunct site.

Suicide Clyde's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Thu, 22/11/2012 - 15:45

wouter1984 wrote:
Hi there,

I am looking for 2 original carmageddon EXE files; CARMA95.EXE and CARMA95G.EXE. These files should have the CD-check intact.

I have an original CD (max pack) for the splat pack, but it does not play video's from CD. and this CD does not contain these 2 files. So I want to try copying these 2 files manually.

I play the original carmageddon from the file CARM95.exe (-hires) and this one does play the original CD music and video's (intro)

when I insert my splat pack cd when launching the original carmageddon It does play the splat pack intro and music, since my original carmageddon EXE (CARM95.EXE) still has CD check.

hope anyone can help me I hate cracked games with no (full) sound.

Dont tell any one about this but here is a link to find it. Cracked and working with no problems full version

Spoiler:
BishyT wrote:
I'm a homosexual man. A very disappointed homosexual man at that.
Spoiler:
DutchBastard wrote:
I'm Dutch and now I'm very disappointed that you said that! :D
Breakin'Benny's picture
Piledriver
Submitted: Thu, 22/11/2012 - 16:54

Hey Suicide Clyde, you're too late to write anything. My suggestion (Comment #5) is guaranteed the best and wounter1984 will definite not need GOG's help

randomness