You are here

'A Trip Down Memory Lane'

• Topic locked

Pages

tu66's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2011 - 13:54

The original atmospheric Carmageddon is the shit.

Gimme goodies and I will do a "HANG ON TO YER HELMET" tattoo.

Ulk's picture
Ulk
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2011 - 14:02

Carma was the first game I played with, I was 5 or 7 yeard old (a long time ago ...) and I remember when a friend of my family visits us, I always ask her "Can I play the game where we crush people ?" :)

I can't forget when I wasted the first police car in Carma, I was so proud and happy =D

Another wery good moment of my life is when one of my cousin told me : "I have Carma 2 !", I can't describe how I felt ! It was so cool to dismember 3D pedestrians, and when a opponent is just in front of a corner, and I arrive full speed right on him, using the Nitro to get more speed and see him cut into 2 parts, it's so good =D

I really want to feel all this fun again in the next one ! I'll be the first to buy Carma R !

PS : I'm french so if I made some english mistakes, sorry.

no1phil's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2011 - 14:03

Oh those early Carmageddon days sure bring back the memories. As a gamer now going on 30 this month * hint hint ;) * I was so young and impressionable back in '97. Back then we never had all this can we see ID please when buying games, you just went in and bought it regardless of the age raiting, ahh the simplier times :D And i turned out ok lol

With Camargeddon being the type of game that it was, you can imagine my joy at getting it, ok so that sounds a bit sick and twisted but hey the game is freakin awesome. I remember back then just sitting for hours on end, on my brand new PC just mowing down hoards of pedestrians. I would always try and initially win by killing all pedestrians, then if that wasn't working to well plan wreckage would come into effect. I would just destroy the other cars, and if that wasn't going down to well then plan z was to just get to the finish line in one piece :D

Carmageddon 2 just completely blow my mind at the time, with the upgraded graphics and new tracks, i'm stoked at the fact you guys are bringing this franchise back and hope no KNOW you guys will capture what made the first 2 games great and bringing some new and fresh meat to mow over......

ceryndrion's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2011 - 14:04

I think my most classic 'solo' memory, has to come from Carmageddon 2, hurtling down a long pipe, didn't know that there was a bar at the end and suffice to say, I was suddenly driving two cars, split perfectly down the middle! As I sat there looking incredulous at the screen, wondering what the hell had happened, I about choked as the remains of my car, plowed into the side of one of my competitors and took them clean out..

But, my all time favourites have to come from the original game, both in arranging duels with my friends across a small home network, which often ended with a standoff, one of us getting the concrete car, colliding with the other, who limped off, got repaired, grabbed the concrete car and fought back.

Finally, as an extension to the duels in the original game, my friends and I started using a very long street map that we found, most likely as an addon for TDR2000, we would spend many hours, seeing how much carnage we could cause in head on collisions, with each of us not knowing which vehicle the other had selected. Apparantly I wasn't playing fair by using a huge dump truck, when they were trying for speed..

Ebitan's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2011 - 14:08

was constantly playing Carmageddon in class, still remember the time when the teacher asked if we where all paying attention, and right when everyone said yes i accidently turned the volume back on and ran over a cow

also pinball mode =/= tight corridors, found that out the hard way

Hellion's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2011 - 14:14

Apart from the usual hilarious "Combo X8" or "Bonus for Artistic Impression" instances, one particularly epic moment back from Carmageddon 2 has stuck with me through all these years.

It was in a level that had you going 1-on-1 against a huge yellow truck, and you had to waste that monstrosity while a countdown clock was ticking.

I remember trying all sorts of approaches. Smashing it with bombs, using the Opponent Repulsificator to damage it, running at it with high speed and hitting it from behind...but after several attempts it just kept wasting me. So out of frustration I decided to simply CHARGE at the damn thing right after the level started, just to see what happens.

3-2-1-GO...and I just race towards the truck at max speed. I notice some power-ups sitting next to the street. "Might as well get them, maybe they'll increase my speed or something. In a moment of extreme luck, one of the power-ups happened to be "Acme damage magnifier". I keep racing towards the truck, which is also racing towards me, we get really close, the street went down-hill at a point so my car jumps a bit in the air...and smashes right into the truck's upper half, WASTING it immediately.

Words can't describe the satisfaction I felt after that. I bought the truck at the end of the level, another trophy for the Junkyard of Glory.

This game rocks, god-dammit :P

VolRath217's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2011 - 14:16

I remember when I forgot had the Carmageddon CD in my CD-ROM drive and hit Play on the media player of Packard Bell Navigator and heard a bunch of static. So I hit Next Track and all of a sudden Fear Factory starts playing and I said "HOLY CRAP THE SOUNDTRACK IS ON THE CD LIKE A NORMAL CD". I played that CD all the time after that. Even used my discman with the cassette tape adapter to listen to it in my truck.

Also, every time I'm about to do something ridiculous while I'm driving, I say "Hold on to your helmet". It's just ingrained in me now.

Rippthrough's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2011 - 14:25

Hellion wrote:
Apart from the usual hilarious "Combo X8" or "Bonus for Artistic Impression" instances, one particularly epic moment back from Carmageddon 2 has stuck with me through all these years.

It was in a level that had you going 1-on-1 against a huge yellow truck, and you had to waste that monstrosity while a countdown clock was ticking.

I remember trying all sorts of approaches. Smashing it with bombs, using the Opponent Repulsificator to damage it, running at it with high speed and hitting it from behind...but after several attempts it just kept wasting me. So out of frustration I decided to simply CHARGE at the damn thing right after the level started, just to see what happens.

3-2-1-GO...and I just race towards the truck at max speed. I notice some power-ups sitting next to the street. "Might as well get them, maybe they'll increase my speed or something. In a moment of extreme luck, one of the power-ups happened to be "Acme damage magnifier". I keep racing towards the truck, which is also racing towards me, we get really close, the street went down-hill at a point so my car jumps a bit in the air...and smashes right into the truck's upper half, WASTING it immediately.

Words can't describe the satisfaction I felt after that. I bought the truck at the end of the level, another trophy for the Junkyard of Glory.

This game rocks, god-dammit :P

I did the exact same thing, god that was satisfying after an hour of play cat and mouse with it!

Therapy's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2011 - 14:27

Ooh, all those great ingame moments.
Yet, I chose to remember my brother with this game. I was only 8 years old and my brother bought it! How I remember telling eachother what happened in carmageddon. :)

A year later I got my own computer. How much fun it was playing with a keyboard, multiply it by 841654894 and then you have the fun playing it with a steering wheel. So I nagged and nagged without succes. Until my brother gave me his steering wheel! Ooh yes, the destruction went to a whole new level.

And I already stayed up late to play carmageddon. Sneak in bed when my parents went to bed, wait a while and then getting out for some more destruction. :D

Also having friends over to play this game together with GTA 1... boy oh boy, great memories!

jbensch's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Wed, 01/06/2011 - 14:32

Carmageddon 2 was the first (and only) game I've ever purchased the first day it was available.

I still have the soundtrack embedded in my head.

• Topic locked

Pages